Campaign- Learning Disability of Dyslexia

DEVELOPMENT


Above is a few sketches I did in my book to portray the potential ideas for the final outcome of the Animation. I mainly worked with the concept of how words could move apart, some glitch and how sometimes using colour, can help with the difficulty of reading.

6th March

Today we were presented with a new member to our team Jenny. Our focus of today was to get straight on with the task in hand, which was to create the storyboard of the animation. First, we collaborated all our ideas together. Ben came up with some really nice catch phrases for the Animation and how we could distort the text. We tried to fill Jenny in as much as possible, however I found that adding a new member to the team so late on in the process of it, turns out to be quite difficult. Me, Ben and Dan try to explain the concept, but it has clashed with her own ideas for what she has towards it. Jenny had some really good ideas for imagery, by using the brain and Einstein, as he was a man who suffered from Dyslexia. Though we tried to explain that we wanted to keep it as typography, as that was what our original plan was going to be about.

Once we were all relatively happy to move on with the idea, I thought it would be best to do the layout of the storyboard, on my Ipad. I thought that it would be easier for everyone to see throughout the discussion.

Storyboard Outcome 1

17197701_1666327286717143_1824439485_n

This was our first outcome of our storyboard; here we roughly were trying to figure out the intro, middle and ending of the animation. Also how we were going to distort the words. We were told that we should be more detailed with the storyboard so we moved onto a bigger canvas.

Storyboard Outcome 2

17141830_1666327313383807_1841070539_n

We spoke to our lecture about what he thought so far and we were told that he liked the typography idea. We wanted to show at the start how text can look so perfect and then show how the text could potentially look from the perspective of a Dyslexic person. Which could be glitching, blurring, moving and other fault’s. We decided to talk about the different problems of learning disabilities like dyscalculia, when a person struggles with understanding numbers, I can relate to this as that is what I have. Dysgraphia is the difficulty of reading and from there we wanted to slowly move on to the punch line, which is that we can help solve the solution to this difficulty of learning. We chose to direct it to the NHS because whenever we researched Dyslexia it would come up with information from the NHS.

We liked this process and moved it forward to present to our lecturer. We asked if he did and he said that we could use imagery somewhere in our animation if it could work. We weren’t to keen but we thought we would have a go.

Storyboard Outcome 3

17160988_1666327293383809_511164640_n

The imagery we decided to work with was a stickman; we thought it would be very simple and complex for students to be interested in. We didn’t want anything too complicated, as that’s not what we want to come across, it needed to be a simple guide for help. We thought we could show the journey of the stickman going through the process of how it feels having a learning disability and then finding the solution, with help.

FEEDBACK

unnamed

For our next feedback we were told that we were on a good flow of a concept and that the layout of it was looking good. However, the stickman effect that we added to the storyboard didn’t work so well and that it would be taking the illusion away from the typography. Which we could understand because type can let alone speak for itself. We were told that it doesn’t have to be so statistical, to just show the context, solution, what we are offering and where to go. To also start thinking about our narrative, other than that we received some good feedback that gave us a good ground base to continue on with.

Storyboard Outcome 4

17198413_1668977793118759_1071827595_n

This is the new and improved storyboard, we took the stickman away and changed the place where students should go for help. We changed it to student services because it would be more accessible for a student to get to. We also spoke more about the use of effects that we could possibly use.

Final Storyboard

17327843_1682249298458275_1195382308_n

This is our final storyboard that helped us work alongside creating the final animation. We were looking at what time we wanted each individual piece to flow, the proportions, colour and even how we wanted the camera angles to be like.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s